16 March 2007

T13 Edition #4 - Thirteen Things I Would Do With a Million Dollars

This T13 list is actually inspired by the movie The Ultimate Gift. My kids and I saw it yesterday. I didn’t know it was put out by “Fox Faith”. It was a great feel good, family kind of movie.

13 Things I Would Do With a Million Dollars

1. Send a large check to some of my favorite missions organizations, including personally to any missionaries that I know.

2. Release my husband from the 9-5 daily grind, to free up his creative energies to do things he’s always wanted but never had the time or resources to do.

3. Plan a family mission trip to an impoverished country.

4. Pay for my mother-in-law and both of her sisters to have their homes and property maintained, or help them in any way needed.

5. Get my hair done by a hairdresser with ears. (Refer to previous post!)

6. Set up savings accounts for my children to use for college, a down-payment for their first house, have full body tattoos, or whatever they would choose to do with it that would make them happiest.

7. Buy an RV and make it homey to use on semi-annual visits to see friends in WV, and family in NC.

8. Take a cross-country trip with my family to see places like Yellowstone, Laura Ingalls Wilder exhibits in several locations, the Grand Canyon, DEFINITELY the Badlands, the Rocky Mountains, etc. including every beach, mountain range, plain and forest.

9. Go to Walt Disney World in Florida.

10. Use it lavishly for random acts of kindness.

11. Enroll in Bible college and immerse myself fully in word study, theology, etc.

12. Build a library in Baborigame, Mexico and stock it with good books written in Spanish.

13. Move my house to a more secluded piece of land, and buy our whole family 4-wheelers.

The truth of the matter is, regardless of how hard I stretched my brain to think, none of the things I could do with a million dollars would really make the world a better place. I would not be a better wife or mother, a more loving friend, a more faithful follower of Christ. I could not buy my dad a new back, or heal my mom's mind and heart. I know I wouldn't be any happier.
In the end, the only thing that truly touches the world in an attempt to make it a better place is an abandoned giving of self. The message I got from the movie, one I’ve always known, is that the best things in life aren’t things, and that what you gain when you give of yourself is far more valuable than what you can obtain with money.
It was fun to think about anyway!


7 comments:

  1. You are right, you can't buy health and happiness. But it would be fun to freely spend once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a creative list! And you're right...I've always felt that money only makes you more of what you already are...so if you're a faithful child of God, it should only keep you that way.

    Thanks for visiting my blog...and happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liked you TT. It's fun to think of all you could do, but you are right, money does not equal happiness.

    http://mitchypoo777.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't buy health and happiness - and you can't buy love. But you can buy flowers and the means to see beautiful sunsets in faraway places with those you love. It can also be a gift of mercy to those who are in need.

    Money has its place. I respect it.

    Best wishes,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fun to think about what we would do with a million dollars, but you are also right in thinking that ultimately it wouldn't make us happy. The best thing is life ia a great meal shared with our favorite family members & friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was the best TT I've read this week. What an AWESOME way to end your list. Love what you shared. I agree wholeheartedly.

    Hope you are having a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. why do you know baborigame. i am going soon to locate my family. lucy at lsrv@wmconnect.com

    ReplyDelete

Awaiting your words......
♥ Juls ♥