29 March 2007

Crock-pot Cookin' - Pot Roast

slowcooking
The weekly Slow Cooking Thursday recipe exchange is hosted at the blog of Diary of a SAHM - if you're interested, make sure to post your recipe and go put your link up there to share it with others. If you want to go directly to this week's crock pot post - click on the graphic above!

Beef Pot Roast and Potatoes
This is the first thing I ever learned how to make in the crock pot, and honestly the only thing I made in it for many, many YEARS! It is a faithful standby that my family loves.

3-4 pound beef roast
6-8 medium sized potatoes
4-6 carrots
1 large onion, chopped
beef broth
Worcestershire sauce
Some people brown their roast before putting it in the crock pot - I never do. One of the reasons I use the crock pot is because of the easy, one pot cooking and little mess. To me, this misses the point. My roast is always tender and wonderful.
Place roast in the crock pot and sprinkle with seasoned salt and pepper. Cover with half the chopped onion. Pour 1 cup of beef broth over the roast and generously sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce. Cut potatoes into halves or quarters depending on size. Layer on top of beef roast. Also cut carrots into medium sized pieces. Add remaining half of chopped onion. If I have a celery rib, I will chop it and add to the crock pot as well. Salt and pepper the vegetables.
Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours, depending on size of roast.

9 comments:

  1. I love good crock pot recipes! I will be trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess what I am having for dinner tonight??? LOL! Took the roast out to defrost yesterday.

    Agreed about pre-browning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beef Stew, in a crockpot, is so tender and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is almost nothing better than roast in the crock pot.


    Annie
    My Life as Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am "one of them" LOL! I always brown it. I'm not sure why I throw my chicken breasts in the crockpot frozen! Does it really come out good if you don't brown? Going to give your recipe a try. Thanks for sharing it. Love roast in the crockpot ... Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now if only I had a crock pot! *LOL*

    God Bless!
    Vicki
    www.prairierosesamongthorns.com/vblog
    www.prairierosesamongthorns.com/reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. That roast sounds yummy and I agree with you about browning the meat first, I never do it, it defeats the purpose of a crock pot :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been wanting to stop by your blog now for over a week! Thanks so much for leaving a comment on mine and I LOVE the idea of a digi-scrap meme! Sounds like a great idea! I'm going to go look into Mr. Linky since I am not real certain how to use the link thingy yet LOL and get one of those started. I absolutely LOVE your blog!!!
    I made a pork roast in the crock pot yesterday and love the slow-cooker recipes. I couldn't live without mine either :)
    Keep in touch and hopefully we'll be linking up more often. It's great to meet you :)
    Celebrate Life!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I admit, I'm "one of them" too LOL I brown before adding to the crockpot....LOL

    This is just wonderful thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Awaiting your words......
♥ Juls ♥