17 July 2008

Chocolate Cinnamon Biscotti

I made this little treat this morning for our breakfast - we have been trying to break away from muffins and have scones and biscotti and other goodies for a change. Kullen didn't like these too much because they're pretty hard - but the girls and I loved them.
Before the recipe police start sending out violation notices, I will share:
Chocolate Cinnamon Biscotti
1 pkg. plain German chocolate cake mix
8 Tbsp. (1 stick) melted butter
2 large eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (we skipped these)
1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (you could take it or leave it - we liked it)
Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or waxed paper and set aside. Mix cake mix, butter, eggs, flour nuts, chocolate chips and cinnamon together on low until well blended, 3-4 minutes. The dough will be thick and form a ball. Transfer it to prepared baking sheet and shape into a rectangle about 14 x 4 and 1/2 inch thick. Bake the biscotti rectangle 30-35 minutes. Remove the baking sheet and let biscotti cool for 10 minutes. Leave the oven ON. After the cooling period, use a sharp, serated knife to cut the rectangle on the diagonal into 1 inch thick slices. Carefully turn these slices onto their sides, using the slicing knife to arrange them on the same baking sheet. Return the baking sheet to the oven. Bake the biscotti for 10 minutes longer, then turn the oven off. Let biscotti remain in the oven until they are crisp - approximately 30-40 minutes longer. Remove the baking sheet and transfer biscotti to a cooling rack. Allow them to cool completely, 2 hours.
Store biscotti in an airtight container at room temperature for up to several weeks.
We also had some great success making some beautiful Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti from scratch around the holidays. I am sure to try making biscotti more often. It is the perfect thing with that first cup of coffee in the morning.

3 comments:

  1. They sound great but that's a lot of work. Pouring cereal in a bowl is my speed in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for another recipe. I don't know how I missed it but I am anxious to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... that sounds yummy! I don't care for biscotti by itself but I totally love it with my coffee (and the kids dip it in milk). Your recipes looks a lot easier than my version... I'll definitely have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Awaiting your words......
♥ Juls ♥