11 May 2008

The Good Earth

A couple of weeks ago, I told my husband that I really wanted to put a garden in this year. I put one in last year, and then shortly after I started getting plants, I promptly took off for three weeks to (almost heaven) West Virginia. When I got home, the weeds were bigger than the plants. We had quite a few fried green tomato feasts, zucchini and squash, and evidently our neighbor had his fair share of watermelon that I never even knew produced (ugh!) - but it was too much for me alone. Travis consented, so this is what we did together on Mother's Day -
We planted 3 rows of corn, 2 types of lettuce, broccoli, peas, beans, tomatoes here and squash and zucchini and cucumbers on mounds that are not in this picture. I also plan on planting some melons on some other mounds in the back yard. While I don't particularly like the weeds, or bugs, or the back-breaking labor of having a garden, or enduring the heat and sun, I would enjoy defraying some of my projected grocery bill for the summer. I also think there is a lot of value for Travis and I to work together, our hands in the dirt and participate in the process of nurturing life from the ground. There is an organic, back to the basics, Adam and Eve-ness to it all, 'cept we was wearing clothes - mainly for the sake of the neighbors.
This is a late start around here. There are people in our area that already have mature gardens that are producing, and we just put seeds in the ground. No matter - with the long growing season we should have plenty of yield. I am not sure that is the point of this garden anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Gardening is something I'm going to get into one day!lol I think it'd be really relaxing. But I can't think of one person in my family who has ever even started a garden! Guess I'll be the first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used Google Reader so I'm gonna try it out with your blog first! I'm used to just adding pages to my favorites list! Guess I need to step into the times, huh?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had fun even with your clothes on :)

    Mother Nature forgot what TN weather is like, we had 35+ MPH winds and it was in the 50's, a blustery day for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking garden! Glad you were able to work together on it, sounds like a good relationship building project. Glad about the clothes - you wouldn't have wanted to end the day at the police station now! ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Awaiting your words......
♥ Juls ♥