26 August 2007

Rambly Brambly Post

Yesterday morning my husband and I watched an Inconvenient Truth. I am never afraid to watch things that may be controversial, and I feel that I came away from it with some food for thought, and compelled to action. I didn't agree with the evolution-friendly dates given to support some of the theories expressed, however, I do believe that we have a serious problem and it is time for all of us who inhabit this planet to pay attention. This isn't a political issue, nor an enviromental one, but one that will impact the lives of every living thing. As a Christian I used to think that none of these kinds of things matter - and that the days of the earth were numbered and that there was nothing we can do to change that, but now I feel certain that as caretakers, we are ask to take care of what we have been entrusted. I am going to watch it again with my kids. I know there will be some super good discussions as a result.
After the leisurely morning, I decided that my azalea bushes needed a haircut. They have gotten SO tall that if I stood on one side of them and you on the other, we would not be able to see each other. This amazes me, being that in WV, azaleas were seldom more than a couple feet tall. Here they are so large, they can dwarf my mini-van. When they are in bloom, they are a sight to behold. Needless to say, after trimming hedges for a couple of hours, my forearms are very sore. I also have about half a dozen huge welps around my ankles from an ant pile I encountered, causing me to do somewhat of an Indian rain dance across my front yard.
Last night my hubby and I went on a date for our anniversary, which I will post more about later, however, we had some pretty good discussions. One of which was about manners and kids. We have noticed since we got here that most kids say "yes ma'am" or "no ma'am" (or sir respectively) when they are speaking to adults. I was telling Travis that I felt compelled to encourage the kids to do the same - and yet what I want is for them to be truly polite, not just "appear" to be polite. We agreed that it is better to just be who we are - and let people think what they want if our kids don't say ma'am and sir. Being truly polite and respectful is the goal, to adults and other kids alike.

1 comment:

  1. Red ants...I hate 'em! My feet are so scarred from being bitten by ants. It's embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete

Awaiting your words......
♥ Juls ♥