08 June 2008

Crock Pot Spaghetti

This has got to be one of the best finds for the crock pot thus far. I was so surprised that I didn't find it on one of my other favorite crock pot blogs. It was so totally easy. My friend Julie tweaked it, and I liked her tweaks so much I will make it this way again and again!

Crock Pot Spaghetti
1 lb. Italian sausage cut into 1" sections
1 jar of spaghetti sauce (standard size)
1 chopped onion (to taste - I used 1/2)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 regular sized can of diced Italian tomatoes
Approx. 1 cup hot water
8 oz thin spaghetti, broken in half

Put approx. 2 Tbsp. of oil in bottom of crock pot along with sausage pieces and chopped onion. (You could add green pepper, or any other veggies you like at this point.) Cook approx. 1 hour on high - stirring at 1/2 hour. Add spaghetti sauce and diced tomatoes. stir well. Cook on low for 2 more hours. (If you prefer you can use tomato sauce, paste, etc. and simmer your own sauce ingredients instead of using jar sauce which I will try next time.) Once sauce has simmered a couple of hours, turn crock pot back on high, and add broken noodles and water so that there is enough liquid to cover noodles and to stir the mixture freely. Cook on high for 1 hour.

I have a pick eater who loved this. She said she preferred the texture of the noodles to the way they are normally. They were a little starchier than usual. While not gourmet Italian food, it was yummy, simple and didn't heat up my kitchen. To feed 5 of us, I doubled this, and we'll eat it for 2 nights! Nobody will complain.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Awaiting your words......
♥ Juls ♥