27 August 2005

Weddings and Anniversaries!


Today is my anniversary! Seventeen years together is a long time. I was thinking about it the other day - next year, my husband and I will have been together for more than half of my life, and the year after that and forevermore, it will always be more than half of my life. I can remember my childhood, but in my heart, there doesn't seem to be a time when he was ever not "with me" in a sense. When we were younger and still dating, we broke up for a time, and I went through a family crisis - and even though it was awkward, I pulled my car up outside the apartment building where he was living and he came out and talked to me for a long time. I needed to talk to him - nobody else would do - because he was my BEST FRIEND.

Our marriage has had some rough spots - at times like coarse grain sandpaper snagging silk. Within the last couple of years, we have been going through some tremendous growing pains, but I have learned that he really is my best friend. He is the person I want to share everything with. I think that is why it can be so hard when there is a marriage disconnect, because the very person causing the hurt is the one you most need to lean on in the hurt. I am so thankful for the work I see God doing between the two of us - it truly is a miracle. I will celebrate that this day!

This afternoon my cousin David gets married to his long-time girlfriend Jen - and we are going to the wedding. What an appropriate anniversary day activity - celebrating the union of another couple. I hope that in seventeen years, they will be able to say that their relationship is everything that God meant it to be.

Happy Anniversary Travis! Happy Anniversary to Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Awaiting your words......
♥ Juls ♥