29 September 2005

Homeschooling Priorities

I just read an blog entry on Lifetime Learning about Teens Going to College-Revisited. The blogger referenced an article about a 13 and 14 year old brother and sister duo going to UC Berkeley. I think that sometimes media like this tends to put a lot of pressure on homeschooling families. I've discovered that throughout the homeschooling community there are different reasons people choose to homeschool - therefore making goals and priorities in educating our children at home falling on quite a wide scale. When I first started to homeschool, I had never met and couldn't imagine that anyone that was not a Christian would want to homeschool their children. In ten years my world has opened up dramatically - and I have met homeschoolers from all walks of life, with varying lifestyles. It is good. It always challenges me to think about what I am doing, and why I am doing it.

I know some that would be absolutely sick with grief if their children chose not to go to college. Education is security they would say. For me, Jesus is the only sure thing - and my trust is completely and solely in Him. In my heart, I want my children to follow God's plan for their lives, wherever that may lead them - to college, to China, to a husband or wife, to the inner city, into a specific ministry, and most importantly to having a heart that always says "wherever-He-leads-I-will-follow"! How could I ever assume to take His place in their lives??? My goal, my focus, what matters most to me is not my children being math geniuses or knowing how to diagram an intricate sentence, but giving them the necessary tools so that they will have the skills to do whatever He asks them to do.

What are your priorities in homeschooling your children? I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Awaiting your words......
♥ Juls ♥