13 October 2007

My Jesus Would Never be Accepted in my Church

There is this song by Todd Agnew called My Jesus. In fact I posted the video here not long ago. (If you click on it, you'll have to scroll down.) It is one of those songs that just sticks with you. I can hear this song as if it were streaming through my head, day and night. Lately it has gotten stronger, louder, clearer - compelling me to think about what it means to live like Jesus. There is just one place where I get stuck - two little lines that irk me -
Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church
The blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpet
The question rings in my thoughts - why - why would you go to a church where Jesus, if he walked in the back door, would not be welcome? What is a church that values the carpet or the environment or programs or cleanliness or policies more than Christ? It is nothing but a country club with a religious focus. I don't need a "club" to belong to, I'd rather belong to the body of Christ. I don't need a denomination, I'd rather be a lover and follower of Jesus. My Jesus.

4 comments:

  1. All I can say to that is AMEN SISTER!!

    Sometimes I feel like the church my family attends is a "country club church" but God has us there for a reason.

    Maybe it is to set an example of loving the dirty footed guy coming in the back door?

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like his music! I bought his Grace Like Rain CD when it first came out a few years ago and instantly loved it! Great song!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know there are churches like that out there, but we all know that their focus is wrong. We are part of a church that keeps Jesus as the main thing. Doesn't mean our church is the best or perfect by any means- because it is filled with humans, it takes a lot of corporate prayer to stay that way. Little things are not made an issue of, though I have seen my pastor spot cleaning the carpet! I hope that you will find some good fellowship in the Lord in your area. You would be awesome to have in a church to keep everyone "real".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think, sadly, that couplet is true of MOST American churches. I love that song because it is such an indictment of the "country club" mentality that we have where we care more about facilities and programs than people.

    ReplyDelete

Awaiting your words......
♥ Juls ♥