20 October 2008

Utermetriectomy

I am not sure where to start. I had a doctor's appointment today to discuss the results of the tests I had back before the hurricane. The nurse had briefly given me the details on the phone, but today I was able to discuss this with the doctor, ask questions, and get a better idea of what's going on inside. (Gentlemen feel free to look away at this point.....)
It appears that my uterus is enlarged, and the lining (endometrium) that they like to have at less than 1 cm. is almost 2 cm. This is either a precancerous condition that would require a hysterectomy, or cancerous. The doctor said we will "cross that bridge when we get there". Mentally, I've been running across it all day like it was on fire! They are scheduling me for a D&C sometime in November. I am not looking forward to that.
I think I must have a really, really good doctor though because there is no way anyone would come just for his bedside manner. First, as soon as I entered the doorway of his office, no hello, howdy-do or anything - he immediately lurched into uterus education. Wow. Secondly, when I told him I had never been put to sleep before, which I will need to have done for the D&C and biopsy, he said, "Scares the h*ll out of you, huh?" Yessir, it does scare the h*ll out of me but you're not supposed to say that!

14 comments:

  1. That scares the hell out of me too!
    Praying!
    Please let me know privately when you are getting the procedure.

    Stay strong!
    I know God will see you through this.
    Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you Julie! Waiting always sucks so much. FWIW, I've been put under 9 times - never a problem. Don't let the fear take over. Educate yourself and have someone who can go with you to all visits/procedures. You need an extra pair of ears, it's too hard to remember everything yourself.

    Steph's right, stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have been under a few times for surgery- everything was fine- I won't lie to you- I didn't feel great from the anesthetic for a few days, but nothing serious. I have a cousin who swears by getting knocked out- she loves it- wakes up feeling totally relaxed. I hope you have the same experience as her! I'm sorry you have to under such a thing in the first place and will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I have been under a few times for surgery- everything was fine- I won't lie to you- I didn't feel great from the anesthetic for a few days, but nothing serious. I have a cousin who swears by getting knocked out- she loves it- wakes up feeling totally relaxed. I hope you have the same experience as her! I'm sorry you have to under such a thing in the first place and will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be praying! Let us know when? I've been under a few times, including a D&C for one miscarriage. I was quite sore from the D&C but I always insist they give me the anti sickness meds before I wake up. The first time I had the anithetic I woke up REALLY sick. It would be worth asking! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Better to have a Dr. like that because he will tell you things the way they are.
    I will be praying for you. Will try to call later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely praying for you, hang in there and know we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been put to sleep just once (gall bladder removal) and I tell you, it's the best thing since the epidural!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are in my prayers. God is a healer. Try not to stress yourself out (easier said than done!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am definitely praying for you and I think I'd like your doctor. I find mind are too king and candy coat things. I rather have brutally honest any day. Maybe because that's my personality to be brutally honest.

    May God hold you in His hands and touch you in only ways He can. In ways of true love, compassion, and healing. He knows your hurts, and your fears and will be all the strength you need.

    Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie I've been under a few times and it's nothing. If anything once the groginess wore off I felt quite refreshed! It's like finally getting a chance to catch up on your sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness, honey... I'm praying that you will begin to heal and that all of the stresses that are causing these issues will begin to cease. Love you! L

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, Julie.
    Just wanted to encourage you. I had a D&C, and it wasn't bad, as surgeries go. In fact, I don't remember anything bad about it. Seemed pretty quick and with a smooth recovery (like I don't even remember it - so it couldn't have been bad or I certainly would remember).
    Keep us informed. I'll pray.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i wish i could be there to hold your hand!! your really not alone though!! we're all praying for you.

    ReplyDelete

Awaiting your words......
♥ Juls ♥