20 November 2008

Where the Heart Is

Recently I watched this movie with my girls. It was cute and sappy and wonderful all rolled into one. Remember, the one about the girl whose boyfriend abandoned her at a Walmart, where she took up residence and gave birth to her baby before anyone suspected a thing?
I don't know how that actually segued into my life - but this week it did. Financial matters dictate that I have at least a small income, so I put in an application at Walmart last Saturday. I got a call on Monday asking me to come in for an interview on Tuesday. I started taking some computer based training yesterday and began working a cash register this morning.
I enjoyed several things about it - since I like people, it was nice to interact with such a wide scale of people in such a condensed amount of time. You realize that everybody runs through there from time to time from the guy hacking up a lung (yes, I am seriously washing my hands every chance I get), to the lady that is pregnant exits the line abruptly because she forgot ice cream (I understand the urgency), to the two year old who drops something and blows me a kiss when I pick it up for her, and the older gentleman and his wife who so happily engage in conversation and are so kind that I want to follow them home and ask them to adopt me!
I am very tired, but you can do anything for a time, right? And it is not without it's blessings. A paycheck being one of them. At least people aren't pulling the rug out from under me in Jesus' name anymore. I would much rather people blaspheme the name of Sam Walton.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Juls! Congrats on the new job! I worked at a local WalMart for a season myself...the infamous Customer Service Desk! What an education I received there!!! It was an adventure and a brush with corporate cultism, to be sure...but most assuredly an EXPERIENCE! Relax and enjoy (as much as you are able)and appreciate the human scenery before you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the job! My mom worked at Wal-Mart one Christmas season handing out flyers for their photography specials. She witnessed two ladies physically fighting over a cart.

    Oh and about the movie. I read the book and of course had to see the movie. I really liked it. Maybe it's because I was raised in Oklahoma and it drew me back to that.

    Also on the Wal-Mart thing. I try to go to Wal-Mart when I go home for a couple hours and usually see a good majority of the people I went home to see anyways and some I didn't. HEHE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked as a Cashier at Wal-Mart for 3 years, 6 years ago, and I'd say it was my second favourite job! I'm glad you like it so far. It is a good place to work. I couldn't do it anymore after 3 years because of panic attacks. There were just too many people for me, and I got laryngitis every year! During an attack I couldn't even talk to the customers, it was very embarrassing. Anyhow, I wish you all the best, and enjoy your time there. It's very organized and that's what's needed for a good place to work, plus the cheer and great staff are what holds the company together I think. So you MUST be great!

    Congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete

Awaiting your words......
♥ Juls ♥