24 November 2008

Blast From the Past - We are the World

I pulled up this oldie on YouTube today and shared it with my kids - and thought my bloggy regulars might appreciate it. I didn't have MTV or cable in the 80s - so I only ever saw this a few times when it aired on TV. It was cool to watch it again.

Do you remember USA for Africa?

(United Support of Artists for Africa), was the name under which forty-five predominantly U.S. artists, led by Harry Belafonte, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, and Lionel Richie, recorded the hit single "We Are the World" in 1985. The song was a US and UK Number One for the collective in April of that year.

The considerable profits from the enterprise went to the USA for Africa Foundation, which used them for the relief of famine and disease in Africa and specifically to 1984–1985 famine in Ethiopia

And you can also catch Do They Know It's Christmas if you're in the mood for some reminiscing.

4 comments:

  1. I loved (still do) Do They Know It's Christmas? !! Always brings ears to my eyes (cause I'm such a sap!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i loved, loved, loved "we are the world". truly a blast from the past. i'll have my kids listen when they get home from school. ha!

    ~sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that was fantastic. I know I've seen it before but it's been so long. Soooo many top notch artists in that, wow!

    I keep hearing about Africa today. Amoung other media, you are the 2nd blogging friend to post something regarding it. It's just weird how much I've heard it today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for those great songs!!! I miss the '80s. Life was simpler back then...

    ReplyDelete

Awaiting your words......
♥ Juls ♥