16 January 2013

Clothed in What?

The ladies in our Sunday school class at church are embarking on a Beth Moore Bible study called So Long, Insecurity.  This study is based on a book by the same name that I read a couple years ago.  It had a major influence on me as I began to see how much my own insecurity has impacted my life.  But to be honest, I read a great book like that with so.much.truth - one that shows me my own reflection like looking in a mirror, but it stuck in my brain like a magnet to drywall - it didn't.  Insecurity's crippling grasp has had an effect on every relationship in my life, every decision large and small. It is my giant and I'm ready to face it! So I began pestering the ladies to do this study with our Sunday school class, hoping that repetition and discussion and doing the *work* (not necessarily in my workbook but in my honest examination of myself before the Lord) would cement the information in my heart and mind. Like the squeaky wheel..... I got the oil! 

This morning I was reading this verse:
She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. ~Prov 31:25

She is clothed with strength. In the original Hebrew this word means power, might, stronghold, strong-willed, stubborn, stouthearted.  Since it is not a word that is commonly used - I had to look up *stouthearted*.  It means courageous or determined.  More times than I can count, I have felt fearful, weak, small.  I have given up when I should have pressed on.  This courageous determination has not earmarked my life.  I want some of that. 

She is clothed with dignity.  Synonyms for this word include majesty, splendor, glory, honor.  The antonyms for this word include shame and disgrace.  Shame tells us we are not good enough and disgrace echoes that we never will be.  Whether it is the result of our own wrongdoing or foolish behavior or the product of wrongs done to us, it is destroying us. I don't know about you, but I'm ready to have some dignity restored.

This verse comes to mind:
As scripture says "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." Romans 10:11 

It repeats what is written in Isaiah 28:16 -
So this is what the Sovereign Lord says: "See I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who trusts will never be dismayed...."

 Jesus Christ is the cornerstone.  He is the firm foundation.  Fear and weakness, shame and disgrace are the products building my life on shifting sands.  I am getting free of this if it kills me - and I'm taking as many ladies as I can with me!  

3 comments:

  1. Very proud of you Julie for what you have done and all that you are doing.

    Love ya
    Dad & Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. Especially love the last sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written. Especially love the last sentence!

    ReplyDelete

Awaiting your words......
♥ Juls ♥